Mount St. Mary's Men's Tennis Opens Up The Spring With a 7-0 Win at Howard
Upper Malboro, Md.-- The Mount St. Mary's men's tennis team started off this spring on a good note, defeating Howard 7-0 on Saturday night. The Mount swept both doubles and singles on their way to the win.
In doubles action, the Mount won two of the three doubles matches to secure the doubles point. The senior tandem of Matthew Blake and Taylor Place downed Spencer Mitchell and Myron Davis, 8-2. Mike Salomon and Adam Salam followed that up with an 8-4 win over Niles Kendall and Bogan Dzakovic at the No. 2 spot. Mike Zabetakis and Austin Blake won by default at No. 3 because Howard could not field a third team.
Matthew Blake defeated Mitchell at No. 1 singles, 6-4, 6-0 to get the singles wins started. Salam followed up at No. 2 with a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Davis, and his doubles partner Mike Salomon won at No. 3, 6-0, 6-1 over Dzakovic. Austin Blake picked up a win at No. 4 singles downing Kendall, 6-0, 6-4. Zabetakis defeated Brandon Burn at the No. 5 spot 6-0, 6-1 to complete the sweep for the Mount. Taylor Place won by default at No. 6 singles.
The Mount returns to action on Sunday when they travel to Lehigh. Match begins at 10:00 AM.
MSM 7 - Howard 0
1. M. Blake/Place (MSM) def. Mitchell/Davis (HOW): 8-2
2. Salomon/Salam (MSM) def. Kendall/Dzakovic (HOW): 8-4
3. Zabetakis/A. Blake (MSM) win by default
1. Matthew Blake (MSM) def. Mitchell (HOW): 6-4, 6-0
2. Salam (MSM) def. Davis (HOW): 6-2, 6-2
3. Salomon (MSM) def. Dzakovic (HOW): 6-0, 6-1
4. Austin Blake (MSM) def. Kendall (HOW): 6-0, 6-4
5. Zabetakis (MSM) def. Brandon Burn (HOW): 6-0, 6-1
6. Place (MSM) wins by default