Men's Tennis Downs Shepherd on Tuesday
Shepherdstown, WV (September 25, 2012)-- The Mount St. Mary's men's tennis team defeated Shepherd 7-2 on Tuesday, to move to 1-0 on the season.
The Mount took two of the three doubles matches to take an early 2-1 lead over the Rams. The senior tandem of Matthew Blake and Taylor Place won at the No. 2 spot, 8-2 over Michael Lesko and Steven Kolumban. Mike Zabetakis and Austin Blake continued their winning ways by defeating Kent Thomas and Al Starlings 8-1 at the No. 3 spot.
In singles action, the Mount won five of the six singles matches to seal the victory. Matthew Blake won a three set thriller at the No. 1 spot over Chris Pratt, 6-3, 6-7 (5-7), 11-9. Mike Salomon followed that up with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Kolumban at the No. 3 spot. Austin Blake won his first career dual singles match over Taylor Boyle at the No. 4 spot 6-0, 6-2. His doubles partner Mike Zabetakis won 6-1, 6-0 over Starlings at No. 5. Senior Place rounded out the Mount wins by defeating Thomas at the No. 6 spot. Place won 6-0, 6-2.
The men return to action this weekend at the Bucknell Invitational. The tournament begins Friday and runs through Sunday.
Mount St. Mary's 7 - Shepherd 2
1. Pratt/Boyle (SU) def. (MSM) Salam/Salomon 8-6
2. Blake/Place (MSM) def. (SU) Lesko/Kolumban 8-2
3. Zabetakis/Blake (MSM) def. (SU) Thomas/Starlings 8-1
1. Matt Blake (MSM) def.
2. (SU) def. Adam Salam 4-6, 7-5, 6-2
3. Mike Salomon (MSM) def. Steven Kolumban 6-2, 6-1
4. Austin Blake (MSM) def. 6-0, 6-2
5. Mike Zabetakis (MSM def. 6-1, 6-0
6. Taylor Place (MSM) def. 6-0, 6-2
6-3, 6-7 (7-5), 11-9