McGinley is Magic in Mount Win Over Shepherd Tuesday Afternoon
Emmitsburg, Md. (September 20, 2011)—Men's tennis defeated Shepherd Tuesday 5-2, with the deciding point coming from the No. 6 singles spot. Freshman Patrick McGinley (Coatesville, Pa./Coatesville) decisively beat Al Starlings in straight sets, 6-1, 6-1.
The Mount won all three doubles matches to take the doubles point. Matthew Blake and Taylor Place handed Chris Pratt and Taylor Boyle an 8-3 loss at the No. 1 spot. McGinley and Mike Zabetakis beat Starlings and Sricharan Mahavadi in a tight one 8-7.
In singles action, The Mount dropped the No.1 and No. 2 spots to Shepherd, but swept the rest to earn the victory, with the decisive match coming at the No. 6 spot. Mike Salomon rolled at the No. 3 spot, defeating Boyle 6-0, 6-2. It took Zabetakis three sets to get the win at the No. 4 spot. Zabetakis beat Steven Kolumban 4-6, 7-5, 10-4 to get the win.
The men return to action this Saturday and Sunday, September 24-25, when they participate in the George Mason Invitational.
MEN: Mount St. Mary's 5, Shepherd 2
1. Chris Pratt (SHEP) def. Matthew Blake (MOUNT) 6-0, 6-3
2. Michael Lesko (SHEP) def. Adam Salam (MOUNT) 6-1, 6-7 (4-7), 6-1
3. Mike Salomon (MOUNT) def. Taylor Boyle (SHEP) 6-0, 6-2
4. Mike Zabetakis (MOUNT) def. Steven Kolumban (SHEP) 4-6, 7-5, 10-4
5. Taylor Place (MOUNT) def. Steven Lesko (SHEP) 6-4, 6-4
6. Patrick McGinley (MOUNT) def. Al Starlings (SHEP) 6-1, 6-1
1. Matthew Blake/Taylor Place (MOUNT) def. Chris Pratt/Taylor Boyle (SHEP) 8-3
2. Mike Salomon/Adam Salam (MOUNT) def. Michael Lesko/Steven Kolumban (SHEP) 8-6
3. Mike Zabetakis/Patrick McGinley (MOUNT) def. Al Starlings/Sricharan Mahavadi (SHEP) 8-7