Apr 06, 2018
ABOUT THE MOUNT
- The Mountaineers look to get back on track after dropping their last three games to fall to 3-7 on the year. The Mount's three victories this season have come against UMBC, VMI and Mercer.
- Last time out, junior Chris DiPretoro netted a career-high seven goals to lead a second-half Mount St. Mary's comeback, but Sacred Heart's Logan Liljeberg's tally with just 56 seconds left lifted the Pioneers to a 10-9 victory. DiPretoro, who registered eight points total in the contest (7g, 1a), scored four straight goals in a stretch spanning the second and third quarters, and posted seven of his eight points in the second half. DiPretoro's seven goals are tied for third-most in a single game in program history, and are the most by a Mountaineer since Cody Lehrer's seven-goal performance against 10th-ranked Lafayette in 2010.
- Goalie Dylan Furnback was also a key for the Mountaineers against Sacred Heart in his first collegiate start. The freshman made 19 saves in the tilt, which is the most stops by a Mountaineer net minder in a game this season and second-most among NEC goalies. The rookie posted a save percentage of .655 against the Pioneers, and made seven saves in the final quarter. For his efforts, Furnback was named the Northeast Conference Rookie of the Week on Monday, joining Luke Frankeny as the two Mountaineers to garner the award this season.
- DiPretoro has registered at least three goals in each of the last three contests to move himself to the top of the Mount leaderboard in goals scored this season (24). The junior also ranks fourth in the NEC in goals per game at a clip of 2.67. Fellow attackers Stephano Mastro (18) and Brenden McCarthy (17) have been the team's other top offensive threats on the year.
- The Mountaineers defeated Bucknell by a 12-10 margin at home last season for their third win all-time against the Bison in their Division I era. In the victory, then-seniors Bubba Johnson (2g, 2a) and Spencer Smith (3g, 1a) tallied four points apiece to lead the way.
- The game against Bucknell will be the Mount's fourth contest against a nationally-ranked opponent this season, which is the most since the 2014 campaign when the Mountaineers faced five ranked teams. The Mount's last win over a ranked team came against Bucknell back in 2013.
- Goals: DiPretoro (24), Mastro (18), McCarthy (17)
- Assists: McCarthy (15), Haggerty (7), Three players tied (6)
- Points: McCarthy (32), DiPretoro (30), Mastro (20)
- Ground balls: Stephan (79), Mangan (38), McIntosh (31)
- Caused turnovers: McIntosh (14), Mangan (14), Verkler (11)
- Faceoffs: Stephan (131-238, 55.0%), Ulrich (11-26, 42.3%)
- Save percentage: Furnback (.569), Mutterer (.444)
- The Bison are ranked 14th in the nation in both the USILA Coaches Poll and Inside Lacrosse Maverik Media Poll, as they sit at 8-3 overall and 5-1 in Patriot League play. They enter Saturday's contest on a three-game winning streak after topping Loyola, No. 15/20 Army and No. 3 Yale.
- Will Sands is the team's offensive catalyst, as the senior attack leads the nation in assists (39) and is tied for second in points (58). Christian Klipstein has started all 11 games in goal and posted a .500 save percentage while yielding just 9.29 goals per contest.
- Mount St. Mary's gets back into conference play with a matchup at home against Hobart on Saturday, April 14 at noon.