Mar 16, 2018
ABOUT THE MOUNT
- The Mountaineers topped VMI (16-9) and Mercer (12-9) their last two times out to improve to 3-4 overall on the year. In the victory over Mercer this past Saturday, Stephano Mastro led the way with four goals, including a pair in crunch time to help seal the victory. Rookie Sam Stephan was key in the win for the Mount, winning 19-of-25 faceoffs (.760) and picking up 11 ground balls. Fellow freshman Luke Mutterer earned his third win in goal with an 11-save performance.
- Stephan's 19 faceoff wins against Mercer are tied for sixth-most in a single game for the Mountaineers in their Division I era. The rookie owns a .558 faceoff percentage on the year and ranks second in the NEC in ground balls (53).
- Mount St. Mary's high-powered offense has tallied double-digit goals in six of seven games on the year thus far, including a season-best 16 scores on a pair of occasions in wins over UMBC and VMI. The Mount currently ranks 17th in the nation in goals per game at a clip of 12.14.
- The Mount is set to face Bryant for the 11th time in series history on Saturday with the Bulldogs holding a 7-3 all-time advantage. The two teams matched up in the NEC opener last season as well, with the Mount posting a thrilling victory on Jack Mangan's game-winner with just 1.8 seconds left in the contest. Mangan and Chris DiPretoro notched three points apiece to lead the offense, and goalie Matt Vierheller shut down the Bulldogs with 15 saves and a .750 save percentage.
- Goals: Mastro (16), McCarthy (15), Frankeny (13)
- Assists: McCarthy (14), Bethke (6), DiPretoro (5), Haggerty (5)
- Points: McCarthy (29), Mastro (18), DiPretoro (16)
- Ground balls: Stephan (53), Mangan (23), McIntosh (20)
- Caused turnovers: McIntosh (11), Mangan (10), Davies (7)
- Faceoffs: Stephan (91-163)
- Save pct: Mutterer (.505)
- The Bulldogs enter Saturday's tilt on a three-game losing streak after falling to Boston U (8-7 OT), No. 11 Yale (11-8) and Drexel (12-9) in the last two weeks, and sit at 2-5 overall this season.
- Cam Ziegler (14g, 10a) and Marc O'Rourke (11g, 6a) are the team's top two scorers on the year. Faceoff man Kenny Massa leads the league with a .704 percentage (117-166) and 74 ground balls. Kevin Beimfohr has started the last four games in goal for Bryant, and owns a .427 save percentage and 10.62 goals against average on the season.
- The Mount is set for another conference test at 17th-ranked Robert Morris next Saturday, March 24 at noon.