Mount St. Mary's Clipped by Hobart, 8-5

Mount St. Mary's Clipped by Hobart, 8-5

Emmitsburg, Md. (March 29, 2014)--Mount St. Mary's lost to Hobart, 8-5, in a Northeast Conference matchup on a rainy Saturday afternoon at Waldron Family Stadium on campus.  Five different players scored for the Mount in the loss.

Hobart (3-6, 2-1 NEC) scored a pair of goals in the opening five minutes to take an early 2-0 advantage.  Brendan Saylor scored 2:55 into the contest, and Cooper Stefaniak added a goal as well to give the Statesmen the two-goal lead.

The Mount (0-10, 0-2 NEC) cut into the lead when Robert Jones scored his fourth goal of the year on a pass from Clayton Wainer with 5:14 left in the first quarter.  Hobart, however, got goals from Zach Reed and Matt Opsahl to close out the quarter with a 4-1 lead.

In the second, the Mount's Bubba Johnson potted his team-leading eighth goal to cut the deficit to 4-2, but Opsahl's second goal of the contest made it 5-2 with 3:24 left in the half.  The Mount again answered, this time with a Tommy Lyons goal, to make it 5-3 at the half.  It was the first career goal for Lyons.

Wainer scored just 1:25 into the second half to cut the gap to 5-4.  Jake McHenry restored Hobart to a two-goal lead midway through the third, and Opsahl scored just over a minute later to push the margin to 7-4.  The Mount's Kyle McDonough scored with 21 seconds left in the third make it 7-5.

The Statesmen, however, held the Mount off the scoreboard in the final quarter to earn the win.

The Mountaineers outshot Hobart, 30-25, in the game while holding a 35-22 edge in ground balls.  Mount face-off specialist Nick Haley won 13 of 16 face-offs in the game, scooping up a team-high eight ground balls as well.  Nick Firman chipped in six ground balls and Kyle O'Brien five in the loss.  The Mount had 21 turnovers in the game.

Opsahl led Hobart with four goals with Stefaniak adding a goal and an assist.  Cam Stone chipped in a pair of assists for the Statesmen as well.  Wainer led the Mount with a goal and an assist.

Frankie McCarthy, making his first start of the season, made seven saves in the game for Mount St. Mary's.  Peter Zonino made 10 saves in the game for Hobart.

The Mount returns to action on Tuesday, April 1, with a 7:00 p.m. game at Saint Joseph's.