Feb 01, 2019
MOUNT ST. MARY'S (5-17, 2-7 NEC) vs. SAINT FRANCIS U (9-11, 5-4 NEC)
Saturday, February 2, 2019, 4 pm
Knott Arena, Emmitsburg, Md.
NEWS AND NOTES
- The Mount fell to Sacred Heart, 87-79, on Thursday night. Vado Morse hit a three-pointer to tie the score at 41-41 at the half. The Mount built a 50-45 lead, but Sacred Heart answered with an 11-0 run to take the lead. The Mount evened the score at 59-59, but the Pioneers responded with an 8-1 run to take the lead for good. Jalen Gibbs led the Mountaineers with 20 points while Morse added 19.
- Saint Francis earned an 80-69 win over the Mount on January 3 in Loretto, Pa., to snap the Mount's seven-game win streak in the series. Mount Mary's is 49-31 all-time against Saint Francis U, including 31-10 at home. The Mount holds a 24-4 record against Saint Francis U over the past 28 matchups, and has won the past 13 NEC regular season matchups at Knott Arena. SFU's last regular season win at Knott Arena was a 76-75 victory on Feb. 21, 2004. Including the NEC Tournament, the Mount is 15-1 at home against the Red Flash over the past 16 meetings with the lone SFU win in that stretch a 73-58 victory in the 2015 NEC Quarterfinals.
- Vado Morse was named the NEC Co-Player and Rookie of the Week on Monday. Morse averaged 24.0 points while adding 3.5 rebounds and 2.5 assists per game, shooting 50.0 percent from the floor and 45.0 percent from beyond the three-point arc, for the Mountaineers in a 1-1 week. He becomes just the fourth freshman in NEC history to win NEC Player of the Week honors, joining Wagner's Miladin Mutavdzic (2/2/92), CCSU's Corsley Edwards (11/30/98) and Sacred Heart's Cane Broome (12/8/14). Morse also took home his second straight NEC Rookie of the Week honor and fourth in the last five weeks.
- At halftime, the Mount will honor legendary star Chris McGuthrie (1992-96), who was inducted into the Northeast Conference Hall of Fame this year. McGuthrie, who is the only player in NEC history to be named All-Conference all four seasons, scored 2,297 points for the Mountaineers, helping lead the team to the 1995 NCAA Tournament and the 1996 NIT Tournament.
- After a slow start to NEC play, sophomore Jalen Gibbs has picked up his pace on the scoring side of late. Gibbs is averaging 16.7 points and 5.3 rebounds over the past three games. He is coming off a 20-point effort against Sacred Heart, his fourth 20-point game of the season, but his first since scoring 30 against Wilson College on December 15.
- Up next, the Mount heads out for a two-game road trip to LIU Brooklyn (Feb. 7) and Sacred Heart (Feb. 9).