#16 MOUNT ST. MARY'S (16-16) vs. #16 ALBANY (18-14)
Tuesday, March 18, 2014, 6:40 p.m.
UD Arena, Dayton, Ohio
NCAA Tournament First Round
1. Mount St. Mary's raced to a 20-point first-half lead en route to a convincing 88-71 win at top-seeded Robert Morris in the Northeast Conference Championship game. Rashad Whack led five Mountaineers in double figures with 20 points. Julian Norfleet added 17 points, Sam Prescott 15, Taylor Danaher 15, and Will Miller 11.
2. Mount St. Mary's has three players with 1,000 or more career points. Senior Julian Norfleet leads the group with 1,598 points, followed by Sam Prescott (1,196) and Rashad Whack (1,059). The Mount is one of eight teams in the nation with three active 1,000 point scorers.
3. This is the Mount's fourth appearance in the NCAA Division I Tournament since moving to NCAA Division I in 1988-89. The Mountaineers also earned bids in 1995, 1999 and 2008. Including this year, the Mount has been a No. 16 seed all four times they have advanced to the NCAA Tournament. Mount St. Mary's won the 1962 NCAA College Division (now NCAA Division II) title and lost in the Division II title game in 1981.
4. Since the calendar moved to 2014, the Mountaineers have posted a 13-7 record, averaging 79.8 points per game. Rashad Whack is averaging a team-best 19.7 points over the past 20 games while Julian Norfleet is averaging 16.8 points and 5.6 assists over that span. The Mount has scored 80 or more points in nine of the 20 games.
5. Head coach Jamion Christian aims to have his team playing its best basketball at the end of the season. Over his two seasons as the Mount's head coach, the Mountaineers are an impressive 18-6 in February/March, including a 5-1 record in the Northeast Conference Tournament.