Mount St. Mary's Men's Basketball Hosts UMBC on Saturday Afternoon
MOUNT ST. MARY'S (4-6) vs. UMBC (2-10)
Saturday, December 29, 2:00 p.m.
Emmitsburg, Md., Knott Arena
* Mount St. Mary's lost at Western Michigan, 87-66, last Saturday to fall to 4-6 overall. Western Michigan used a 10-0 first half run to stretch the lead to 16 points, and led by double figures the rest of the game. Rashad Whack led four Mount players in double figures with 16 points in the loss. Sam Prescott and Julian Norfleet each had 14 and Raven Barber 10 for Mount St. Mary's.
* This will be the 47th all-time meeting between the Mount and UMBC, but the first since an 82-74 Mount St. Mary's win at Knott Arena on Feb. 11, 2003. In that game, Landy Thompson led MSM with 31 points while hitting 7-of-15 from three-point range. Mount St. Mary's was 13-for-42 (.310) from beyond the arc, setting a school record for three-point attempts in a game.
* This is the Mount's final non-conference game of the season. The Mount is looking to win five non-conference games for the fifth time since joining the Northeast Conference in 1989-90.
* Head coach Jamion Christian refers the to the Mount's style of play as Mayhem, which features a pressing defense combined with an offense reliant on three-point shots. The Mount forces a turnover on 27.4 percent of the opponent's possessions (tied for 7th in the nation) and leads the country in percentage of points scored on three-pointers (43.8).
* The Mountaineers are averaging 11.0 steals over the past two games. The Mount has recorded 10 or more steals in seven of the 10 games this season.
Up Next: The Mount opens Northeast Conference play against Fairleigh Dickinson at Knott Arena on Thursday, January 3, at 7:00 p.m.