Men's Basketball Opens 2012-13 Season at Pittsburgh on Friday Night
MOUNT ST. MARY'S (0-0) at PITTSBURGH (0-0)
Friday, November 9, 6:00 p.m.
Petersen Events Center, Pittsburgh, Pa.
The Mount St. Mary's men's basketball team opens the 2012-13 season at Pittsburgh on Friday night. The game will air live on ESPN3.com.
* The Mount begins its 104th season of men's basketball with the season opener against Pittsburgh. Mount St. Mary's has an all-time record of 1,422 wins and 1,005 losses.
* A new era of Mount basketball begins with the head coaching debut of Jamion Christian. A 2004 graduate of Mount St. Mary's, Christian is the third-youngest head coach in NCAA Division I at 30 years old. He comes to the Mount after serving as an assistant coach under Shaka Smart at VCU last season.
* Since moving to NCAA Division I in 1988-89, the Mountaineers are 3-21 in season openers, including a 1-20 mark on the road. The Mount's last win in a season opener was an 84-76 victory at rival Loyola on Nov. 14, 2008. The Mountaineers have not opened a season at home since a 92-88 overtime win against LaSalle on Nov. 14, 1998.
* The November 9th start to the season is the earliest in Mount St. Mary's basketball history. The previous earliest start to a season was on Nov. 10 in both 2006 (at West Virginia) and 2007 (at George Washington).
* Mount St. Mary's was picked to finish in ninth place in the annual Northeast Conference Preseason Coaches Poll. Two-time defending champion LIU Brooklyn is the preseason favorite, followed by Robert Morris, Wagner, Quinnipiac, St. Francis (N.Y.), Sacred Heart, Monmouth, Central Connecticut St., the Mount, Bryant, Fairleigh Dickinson and Saint Francis (Pa.).
UP NEXT: The Mount welcomes Hartford to Knott Arena for the home opener on Tues., Nov. 13, at 7 p.m